Local Community Resources for Behavior Support and Enrichment
DC PAWS Training Partner Directory: Learn about how we select our training partners and what to look for when enlisting the support of a trainer or behavior consultant, and connect with a DC PAWS vetted training partner through our directory.
Your Dog’s Friend (Rockville, MD): Offering a robust website with training articles and resources, free monthly adopter workshops and seminars, and a Foster Dog Alliance offering discounted training support to dogs in foster care.
AWLA Pit Crew Walking Group (walks based in Northern Virginia): This group walking group is a program of the Animal Welfare League of Arlington’s Pit Crew, which works to increase adoption rates for pit bull type dogs and provide owner support for pit bull guardians. The Pit Crew’s walking group provides guardians of ALL dog breeds an opportunity to exercise and socialize their dogs in a controlled setting. Walks are hosted by dedicated volunteers and and free to participate in, but you must contact the Pit Crew and complete a questionnaire for you and your dog prior to having access to group walks.
Resources for Puppies
- Ultimate Puppy – A robust website and toolkit for puppy socialization and training. Ultimate Puppy is specifically designed to guide you through the critical stages of your puppy’s development. There is a strong emphasis on how to socialize your pup and do preventative-styled exercises.
- Puppy Socialization: Stop Fear Before it Starts – Dr. Sophia Yin
- Dr. Sophia Yin’s Puppy Socialization Checklist (PDF)
- Puppy Raising Resources from Ian Dunbar, DogStarDaily
- Puppy Socialization 101 – Sara Reusche, Paws Abilities Training
Helping Your Adopted Dog Adjust to a New Home
- So You’ve Brought Home a New Dog…Now What? – Dogs Out Loud
- Introducing Dogs to Cats – American Humane Association
- Housetraining Puppies and Dogs – American Humane Association
- Crate Training: The Benefits for You and Your Dog – Best Friends Animal Society
Setting Dogs Up for Success
- Catch Your Dog Doing Something Good – Dogs Out Loud
- Fun Things to Do with Your Dog – Best Friends Animal Society
- Getting the Behavior You Want from Your Dog – Best Friends Animal Society
Common Behavior Issues and Nuisance Behaviors
- I Need to Return This Dog… – Dogs Out Loud
Resources for Fearful Dogs
- Fearful Dogs Website – Debbie Jacobs
- 5 Tips for Traumatized Dogs – Sara Reusche, Paws Abilities Dog Training
Resources for Reactive Dogs
- Arousal, Anxiety, and Fear Digital Download – This 2 hour lecture by professional trainer Suzanne Clothier provides detailed information to help viewers develop empathy, understanding and humane options for their work with stressed or anxious dogs.
- CARE for Reactive Dogs – Step-by-step protocol for managing and treating reactivity issues
- Leash Gremlins Need Love Too: Helping Your Leash Reactive Dog – Dogs Out Loud
- DINOS: Dogs In Need of Space – Jessica Dolce
- The Muzzle Up Project – Maureen Backman
Managing and Treating Separation Anxiety
- Understanding Separation Anxiety – Malena deMartini-Price
- Separation Anxiety Is So Much More Than a Crate and a Kong!
Resources for Children and Dogs
- Family Paws Parent Education
- Living With Kids and Dogs
- Dogs and Babies Learning to Live Happily Ever After
- Stop the 77
Resources for Cats
- Using Behavior Modification to Help Your Cat
- Introducing Cats – Patricia McConnell
- Cat behavior webinar library from the Association for Professional Dog Trainers – Includes several webinars on introducing new cats to resident cats and dogs, modifying behavior in multi-pet households, and addressing litterbox and scratching issues